January 21, 2008

Two Month Well-Baby Visit

Charlie had his two-month well-baby visit this afternoon. If you are keeping score at home, he now weighs 14 lbs. 6 oz. and is 23 ¾ inches long. This puts him between the 50th and 75th percentile for length and between the 75th and 90th percentile for his weight, for what it’s worth. I’d tell you his head circumference, but I don’t remember what it was. The doctor thoroughly checked him out, and Charlie even smiled when he was listening to his heart and chest. He also stood Charlie up to see how well he is putting weight on his legs. He reviewed his growth since last month and pronounced Charlie perfect! I really like our doctor, and not just because he tells me my son is perfect… He’s really funny, sometimes in a 7th grade boy kind of way, especially when we discuss pooping patterns. And he uses a lot of food-related imagery, including comparing things to mustard, peanut butter, and once telling me to wrap Charlie up like a burrito. I should’ve asked “Bean burrito or burrito supreme?” But he can just as easily turn back into the knowledgeable doctor, like today when we talked about autism and vaccinations. Plus I’ve been very impressed with the group of doctors in general. We’ve never waited more than 10 minutes in the waiting area; they are open on Saturdays; and they reserve early morning and late afternoon hours for walk-ins and same-day appointments.

Besides getting an all-over check-up, Charlie started his first round of many vaccinations. When the nurse gave him the first shot, Charlie gave one of those cries where he emptied his lungs of every last ounce of oxygen, took a huge breath, and then let it wail. His chest and head turned beet red. He has such a temper sometimes! He cried for a few minutes after that but went to sleep as soon as he was back in his carrier. He was sleeping so well that we hit the mini-Walgreens located on the first floor (which is sheer genius) to pick up Tylenol infant drops and saline drops (in case he gets anymore nasal congestion). We’ve been home for a few hours now, and I haven’t noticed any fever or more than normal fussiness. I hope it continues that way!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Hi! Charlie is soooo adorable! I can't wait to meet him! And if he does't watch out, he is going to pass up Karsyn in size (and I agree with you that the growth charts are silly - really, I can't make her grow any faster/taller). :-) I hope we get to see each other soon - and keep up the posts! I enjoy reading them and seeing the pictures.

Wendy