January 2, 2008

Happy Holidays!

We've had a great couple of weeks. (With the exception of one very hectic day before the holidays that included having to replace two tires on my car and a quick trip to the vet for DeeDee to get stitches...) Of course, we did have to make an unexpected trip to the pediatrician when Charlie had a rash on his chest and shoulders. It didn't look too bad, but I wanted to have it checked out before we went out of town. The doctor diagnosed it as "your typical nonspecific rash.” It could be from sensitive skin, or it could be seborrhea, which is what causes cradle cap. After a few baths with Cetaphil, the bumps were gone. I also learned at the doctor visit that Charlie is up to 11 lbs. And after spending the holidays utilizing the “feed him if he’s crying” technique, it's possible that he's over 12 lbs. now. We’ll see when we go for our 2 month visit in a few weeks!

We made the trip to Texas safely in the truck with both dogs and Charlie. He traveled great—sleeping the whole way. We stopped about halfway for bathroom breaks and snacks all around. It was so nice to be home and get to show him off to friends and family. After spending a week with Mom, I feel so much more confident in handling Charlie and figuring out how to make him happy. I no longer have that stabbing fear everytime he cries.

I’ve noticed a few new developments these past few weeks. For instance, Charlie now has tears. He doesn’t have them all the time, but his eyes are a little wet after crying. He tracks objects and is fascinated with the jungle animal mobile that Granny and Grandaddy got him for Christmas. He’s also smiling a few times each day, usually when we’re playing during his alert times. We snapped some great pics of his Granny enticing smiles out of him. And he’s started oooing and awwing a few times each day. He’s been putting weight on his legs and will stand for a second (with support). He does this especially when he’s mad and crying. He continues to hold his head up and turn it from side to side. He's also pushing the length limits of his 0-3 onesies. I just keep telling myself that they must've shrunk!

We had a quiet New Year’s Eve at home. Charlie watched the ball drop in Times Square. However, when the clock struck midnight here, he was bawling. I hope that’s not a sign for the year to come!

No comments: