February 13, 2008

Diapers, diapers, everywhere

We've reached another milestone! Not so much for Charlie, but more for his parents. Charlie is now three months old, and we bought diapers for the first time this week. And no, he hasn't been running around pants-less all this time... We had been given so many diapers from friends and family that they lasted all this time. It also doesn't hurt that my parents buy us a jumbo package to use every time we visit them in Texas.

While I was pregnant, I had told my mom that I wanted to use cloth diapers after Charlie was a few months old. But after he was born, I realized how often I'd be soaking and washing them, and I began to rethink it... So, I looked around and found a happy medium with
gDiapers.

gDiapers are made up of a cloth pant with a plastic liner that holds a flushable insert. When you change the diaper, you just change the flushable insert. If you don't feel comfortable flushing it (old plumbing or slow toilets), you can feel good about throwing it away because the inserts completely break down and return to the earth in less than two months. The company also recommends composting the wet ones if you'd like to add nitrogen back to your soil. So while I don't think my suburban neighbors would like me creating a compost pile in my backyard, I still think that's a neat idea.

So far, our gDiapers experience has been very positive. I think we may still use disposables at night and when we go out, just for convenience. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

You are way more brave than I am - I don't think I could give up my disposal diapers!

I LOVE the last picture of him with the remote - too funny!

Wendy